TEST • AT HOME What to do
COVID-19 nose swab
What the test involves
The test involves taking a swab of the inside of your nose and the back of your throat, using a long cotton bud.
Who can get a free test
You can only get a free nose swab test (PCR Covid-19) if at least one of the following applies:
- you have symptoms (malaise, a temperature > 37.3C, a headache, a new, continuous dry cough, you have new breathing difficulties, new unexplained diarrhoea/vomitting, you’ve lost your sense of smell or taste or it’s changed)
- you’ve had close contact (>15 mins at < 2m distance without your facial mask on or direct physical contact) with someone (colleague, friend) with diagnosed COVID
- a member of your household tested positive for Covid-19
If any of the options above applies to you, please contact your GP/Hygiene Department (if you do not have a GP in the Czech Republic) as soon as possible.
They will do an e-COVID-19 testing referral for you (using your CISLO POJISTENCE as a proof of your identity) which is then being stored in an on-line referral database and is ready to be accessed by any of the official testing centres. Unfortunately the system will not further notify you about this existing referral by SMS/email.
There are walk-in as well as drive-through places, check the list on https://koronavirus.mzcr.cz/seznam-odberovych-center/
We strongly recommend making an appointment via the website of the testing centre.
The result of the test is then sent on to your mobile phone/email.
If you are going into hospital as a inpatient (you are due to have surgery or a procedure) – then the hospital will usually arrange this for you, you might want to contact them prior to your admission
Who cannot get a free test
- you’ve come to the Czech republic from a high risk country
- you’re planning to leave the country
- your employer or school has asked you to get a test
You can pay for a private test, see the lists of places below
Hygiene Department in Prague (contacts, help-line):
testing centres in the Czech Republic: